After completing the rehab on my previous piece, it sold almost immediately. This was a double blessing, as I received a call from a sweet young woman wanting me to find/resource a buffet for her since the Drexel piece was no longer available. She came over for a visit and to look through some of my portfolio of past rehabbed pieces and decided to move forward. My client, darling 25 yr old professional, had just moved into her very own condo and was looking for something to be multifunctional for years to come. For now, this will serve as her entertainment center for her flat screen. Within 24 hours of that meeting I was picking up this gem.
Excellent bones, smooth operating drawers and cabinet doors, very sturdy piece, all original hardware, locking skeleton key for the cabinets and unique with it 8 lovely legs. The stain on the top was quite damaged with water marks and what not. Additionally, I could tell that the age of the stain was likely going to produce a great amount of ‘bleed through’. After a good wipe down I gave it a good once over with some sand paper and cleaned it well with tack cloth. Let the priming begin.
One coat of primer seemed to be sufficient. Moving right along, I lightly sanded the primer and cleaned the piece again. My sweet client knew she wanted white, so I went with my all time favorite with, Alabaster. It’s a Sherwin Williams color that I have always had mixed in Behr premium. I’m a HUGE fan of Behr paints, and sadly, they are not giving me a little kicker bonus to say that. It’s just the truth.
When the first coat dried I could see the bleed through beginning. Because I always apply two coats of paint, I wasn’t worried. However, after the second coat there were a few areas still faintly showing some bleed through so on went a third coat. Creamy and beautiful was the end result. I allowed the paint to cure really well and then elegantly distressed the buffet with 150 grit sand paper. The body of the piece was given a coat of clear wax but the top needed more durability than anything wax has to offer. Anytime I recreate a piece that has a possible activity surface (table top, dresser, end table, buffet….etc), my ‘go to finish’ is Minwax wipe on polyurethane. It’s a charm to use, still allows a hand applied finish and you can record multiple times after each coat dries. For me, and my pieces, three coats is the magic number. That way I know it has sufficient durability to withstand a lot of use.
The original hardware was rejuvenated with some antique gold Rub n Buff. LOVE that stuff. And it added the perfect pop of gold against the creamy white. My darling client and her boyfriend pick it up yesterday, I think she was over the moon.