Recently, I recreated a couple of vintage pieces for a lovely client and her family. She inherited these from a family member, which is always a bonus. However, the finish on the furniture left a lot to be desired.
Apparently, they sat in a basement somewhere, unused, for some time. There was a bit of water damage to the table top and all of the legs on both pieces. She and her husband delivered them to me and I got busy…..very busy.
This is where the pieces started….not at all the look she was going for in her new beautiful home.
A very old yellow paint/heavy glaze finish. Not super attractive. Dont you
love the flower motif on the buffet doors? She really wanted the tops restained and bases painted. They decided on a Parisian French Grey (Sparrow by Behr). Its one of my all time favorite greys. Elegant and timeless.
Table top half sanded…..
I used 2 coats of Jacobean Minwax stain for the table top and and painted 2 coats of my own chalk paint using some Calcium Carbonate dissolved in a little bit of water. A light distressing of the paint goes a long way.
This is how the legs used to look…..ummmm, no thank you.
And the beautiful buffet after the same process.
After both cured well over 24 hours, I gave the stained tops a nice coat of wipe on polyurethane. Allowing them to dry 6-8 hrs in between coats and applying 3 total coats. The painted bases received a heavy coat of dark wax and then I buffed it to a nice finish.
The hardware received a heavy coat of Brasso and a long scrubbing/polishing.
What a before and after difference? My happy clients picked up the pieces this past weekend. They were delighted, which in turn makes me delighted. Overall, an awesome transformation.
I love upholstered furniture pieces. I love fabrics. I love a good staple gun, especially the new electric one that my husband got for me. I have reupholstered several stools, ottomans, dining room/kitchen chair seat cushions in my day, but never have I completely rehabbed a sitting chair…..so I finally did. I found a set of 2 sitting chairs. They have a solid wood frame and arms, fabric seat, fabric front and back, and great bones to the design/look of the chair…….and that’s why I grabbed em’. I had a vision for these babies. As it turns out, they became way more work than I had anticipated. Because of the way the seat cushion fits around portions of the frame, it was impossible to get the seat out to recover it. My sweet hubby had to basically disassemble multiple bolts in various locations to loosen the structure of the chair so that I could remove the seat. He’s the brains in this operation. Also, it took forever to rip away the old piping and yank out the bazillion staples used to tack it down. I was ‘over’ the needle nose pliers after that ridiculousness. So here is how they looked when I got them.
They aren’t horrible, but they lack a little something special. Because the foam portion of the seat was worn down under the fabric, I had to restuff with batting and fill in so that the seat portion looked and felt uniform again when you sit on it. Finally, I was able to upholster the seats. I took the chairs outside, covered the front and back fabric areas with paper and sprayed the chairs black. Then I distressed them a bit, antiqued them with a bit of dark stain and gave them a spray coat of poly. Back to the fabric – I cut and strategically hot glued the fabric onto the front and back part of the chair…….sore, burnt fingers. After that, I used a pretty, black, braided trim to glue all around the edges of the fabric for a professional/ finished looked. I had no desire to sew piping at this point. And the result………
1 completed and 1 left to finish.